Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- Total time:
- 40 min
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Created by:
- Hot Meals
1 each Brown Onion, diced
2 each Garlic Cloves, crushed
3 cup Finely Chopped & Grated Vegetables *(see notes)
1 cup Vegan Beef Stock Liquid e.g. Massels
1 unit Tomatoes, canned
0.3 cup Tomato Paste
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Dried Rosemary
1 tsp Dried Thyme
1 tsp Dried Basil
5 each Dried Bay Leaves
2 tbsp Soy Sauce or Tamari
1 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce e.g. Woolworths or Spring Gully
1 tbsp Maple Syrup or Brown Sugar
1 cup Lentils, canned, drained & rinsed
0.5 cup Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), dry
1 unit Spaghetti, packet
1 unit Vegan Parmesan or Fresh Herbs e.g. basil to serve
1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Boil the jug, add dry TVP to a medium sized bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside.
- Dice onion and fry in a small amount of oil (e.g. olive oil)in a large, non-stick pan until translucent, on medium to hot heat. Add minced garlic and fry for 30 sec.
- Add in the finely chopped and grated vegetables and beef stock. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, along with salt & pepper. Mix & reduce heat to a simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, mixing often.
- Once reduced, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Pick out the 5 bay leaves from the sauce, taste sauce and add in additional seasoning if required.
- Serve the bolognese sauce over the spaghetti and top with vegan parmesan or fresh herbs if desired.
A twist on a classic recipe kids love, with a few hidden extra veggies. The vegan protein source is textured vegetable protein (tvp, soy) or/& lentils (canned). Thanks to Peace with Plants for the recipe: https://peacewithplants.com/vegan-spaghetti-bolognese/
Finely Chopped & Grated Vegetables: e.g. 1 carrot, 1 zucchini, finely chopped broccoli and cauliflower.